Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Thoughts on the Broncos

Hey, Denver Broncos... I just want you to know that I'm really impressed with your team this year. The things you accomplished during the last 17 weeks will stay with me for at least a part of a lifetime (but probably not the good part of one).

Great work at the beginning of the season, guys. Starting out 6-0 was really something to be admired. Going 2-8 in your next ten games, though, was less admirable. At least I can rest assured in the comfort that I know what I'll get with you on a yearly basis. Despite whatever sort of winning or losing record you might have at the beginning of the season, I know for sure that you'll end up with a very average record at the end of the season and will either narrowly miss the playoffs or face a quick elimination in the first round.

The way you defeated some of the most formidable teams in the league this year was rather outstanding. Your victories over Cincinnati, New England, and San Diego early on in the season made me believe that you had what it might take to be a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Losing to teams like Oakland, Washington, and Kansas City later in the season quickly erased any illusions I might have had about your potential, though. Thanks for that. I really appreciate the fact that you were honest with us about your intentions to be overwhelmingly average before you accidentally made the playoffs or over-exerted yourselves.

I'm already looking forward to the shenanigans you're no doubt preparing to pull during the off-season. I know you knocked out some doosies last year with firing your head coach and switching your defensive schemes. Your attempt to draft and install a solid running back in place of the committee of backs you'd long employed was entertaining. I can't even imagine what you might do during this summer. Whatever it is, please don't put too many bullets into your own feet. I have a feeling that you might do something foolish like let your number one receiver fall to free agency. I'd encourage you not to do that. Unless, of course, you're goal as a team is to remain as boring and mediocre as possible. Wait a minute...

Anyway. Thanks again for another lack-luster year. You've left me no choice but to cheer for the Packers and the NFC in the playoffs this year.

I look forward to the opportunity to say all of this stuff again a year from now. Don't let me down!


MMK

No comments: