Sarah and I have a New Years Eve tradition of eating an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. I guess I should clarify that... We don't actually eat the whole cake in one night. We tried doing that when we first began this tradition and the sugar seriously messed with us both. I woke up two hours later feeling like I was going to have a heart attack and Sarah was yelling in her sleep because she was having some messed up nightmares. And I don't even want to get into the gastrointestinal side of things with how that much sugar affects the body. Anyway. Now we just have some of the cake and save the rest for later (aka tomorrow). Seeing as how there don't seem to be any Dairy Queens within a reasonable distance of Durham, though, we made our own ice cream cake this year.

It was scrumtrulescent. Peanut butter cup ice cream with melted peanut butter and milk chocolate shavings piled on top = taste explosion.
And what should accompany such a classy dessert? Well, a classy beverage of course! So while other revelers consumed their mixed drinks and celebratory liquors, we both put on our most formal sleeveless t-shirts and drank Coke Zero from the finest crystal we own.

As with any classy/sophisticated/drink-from-a-can beverage, you gotta swirl it around to release the aroma.

It was a vintage 2009 which had been aged to perfection (read: packed with chemicals and preservatives in order to maintain its flavor through even the most devastating nuclear fallout).

We also spent the most blissful hour and a half of our night watching Matilda. It's the movie adaptation of the Roald Dahl book of the same name. I love it (despite the fact that it is meant for 12 year olds) and Sarah was kind enough to have given it to me as a stocking gift for Christmas.
She thought that I looked like one of the characters in the film. I disagree.

Notice my less than pleased expression and how my shoulders are slumped forward in disagreement. Sarah has no idea what she's talking about. This kid doesn't even have a beard.
Speaking of which -- I freaking love my beard. It's so long and bushy and luxurious. I want to keep it forever and ever. Or until Sarah decides to shave it while I'm sleeping some night. Anyway. Beards are the best.
So there it is. The best possible start we could give to a new year and decade. Norah slept through all of the festivities because she's a baby and that's what babies do. Oh well. As long as the world doesn't end in 2012, she'll have plenty of opportunities to celebrate New Year's Eve as she gets older.
Hope you all have a good night and that the new year is off to a good start in your lives. Each day, week, month, and year is a blessing from He who controls the clock. Don't take it for granted, dudes... Live it well.
Stay Gold!
MMK
2 comments:
Looks like my kind of evening! :) We had a relatively low key night as well...hanging out with friends, snacking, drinking fresca, playing guitar hero. HAPPY NEW YEAR, Koles!!
We played cribbage and drank Sprecher Cherry Cola to ring in 2010 after a night out to dinner and a movie. Wish we could've whooped the Koles in a cribbage tourney. :D Happy New Year!
Post a Comment