Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The World's on Fire

I was watching the news earlier tonight and I was reminded of why I try to avoid watching the news. What a waste of time. In case you haven't been paying attention, let me catch you up: people are dying, the dollar isn't worth anything anymore, our consumption is catching up with us, the rest of humanity despises us, and gas is still super expensive.

"The paper says the whole world's on fire, but this street is quiet."
- Modern Life is War

That's the glory of America, isn't it? At least it has been in the past. The world is wasting away, but it always seems to waste more quickly somewhere else. It's never us. Give it time, though... Let's see where this recession and potential bank crisis takes us.

I'd like to think that we will bond together as a people and turn things around. I'd like to believe that things will get better. I'm hard pressed to be too hopeful, though. I have faith in the Father. I don't have too much faith right now in His people.

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote 'the world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."
- Morgan Freeman, Se7en

So it goes, I suppose.

The Bible refers to the earth as a creation of God and, essentially, God's kingdom. The Garden of Eden was His kingdom and glory. The Word tells us that His kingdom will come again to the earth.

I am glad that I trust in a God who is loving and merciful beyond our understanding because I have absolutely no idea how this could have been, or could be again, any sort of kingdom in which any sort of God would take pride. As I've said before, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will most likely live the rest of my life without ever fully understanding how He could ever rationalize that any of this would be worth His one and only Son.

Anyway, so here's to the world and the fact that it's been driving itself downward more and more quickly every day since the day it was created.

And I'm done rambling.

Stay Gold,

MMK

No comments: