Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Exposed

I can see a bit of my jaw bone, I think. I had my third and final wisdom tooth removed today (four or five years after the others) and it looks like the socket is deep enough that I can see a bit of my actual jawbone at the bottom of it. Crazy, right? Crazy awesome, that is. And manly, too.

Life has been pretty relaxed around here recently. We know we have to move in a week and there's all sorts of stress related to packing/not packing and having our apartment cluttered with boxes in the meantime, but the pace of summer life is helping to offset those stressors. Norah and I have been driving Sarah to work most days and then running errands in and around Portsmouth to help us get out of the house a bit during the day. We go for walks and stuff, too, but she needs something more in the day other than an hour-long walk around campus. So, we go to Target a lot. I've noticed that it's mostly old people and stay-at-home parents shopping at that time of day. Sometimes I bond with the other parents who have similarly aged children as Norah. We talk about what our kids can do and what they're still learning. Sometimes the other moms confuse Norah for a little boy because she'll be wearing a blue or black shirt. Then they get all apologetic when I say that she's a girl. People get pretty weird about gender stuff with babies. I  blame Obama.

Speaking of Obama, I think he's doing a pretty decent job considering that he's a Nazi and a socialist who wasn't even born here and who hates the Constitution down to its punctuation. I heard he actually caused the oil spill in the Gulf on purpose because he hates the environment, too. Doing all this driving to and from Sarah's work during the day has given me the chance to listen to a lot of Glenn Beck's talk radio program. That guy really has it together and totally presents an unbiased, America-loving message that in no way is driven by any sort of self-serving agenda. He's a true patriot just like Jesus was when He died specifically for Americans only.

Anyway, back to talking about our move to our new apartment. For those of you who didn't know, I'll be working in a different building next year than the one I've worked in for the past two years. This one will be much larger and more administrative, but I hope to not lose out on having lots of contact with my students and my RA staff. That's all a couple of moths off, though, so I'm not gonna stress too much about that for right now. The nice thing about the physical move is that we'll literally be moving right across the street. That means less boxing junk up and more just carrying things over bit by bit and putting them away immediately. The Housing work crews are in there right now laying new carpet and painting the walls a nice (or so I'm told) light tan color. Supposedly we're getting a new(ish) oven, too. Pretty awesome, right? The catch is that we're losing probably two-thirds of the counter space we currently have in out kitchen and that the bathroom is tiled in a lovely, totally modern and up-to-date grey and pink motif. It's a bit locker-roomy, but it'll do. We'll have way more storage in general, though, so that's a total plus. Norah has way to much crap just to have it out in the apartment like we do now.

She's almost thirteen months old, by the way. That's nuts. She's so very close to walking on her own, but just can't seem to take those first few steps on her own. She'll hold on to one of my fingers with just one of her hands and walk around slowly, but as soon as I try to take my hand away at all she'll just crumple down onto her butt and start crying. Oh well. It'll happen when it happens.

And so that's life for right now. More to come in the next few days, I'm sure.

Say bye bye, Norah...





















Stay Gold, dudes!

MMK!

2 comments:

Justin said...

Your layers upon layers of sarcasm are just like a 7-layer salad... delicious!

Karen VH said...

Speaking as a parent of 30 years, let Norah keep holding on to your finger. She'll pull away soon enough! For now, love the idea that she still needs the assurance of your physical presence. :-)