"No, I'm a responsible f'ing parent who realizes that there's more to life just than 9-5'ing it for a paycheck. I don't babysit -- I father."
There's no way anyone would ever say that to Sarah if they saw her spending time with Norah.
Some people need to get with it, for reals. Ugh.

Though, admittedly, she might be better off with someone else taking care of her. I don't know that a propensity for eating one's socks is a sign of having quality parents.
Stay Gold!
MMK
9 comments:
That totally does suck, and I'm sure gets pretty old. Why is it so surprising/out of the ordinary for some to see a man spending time with his little one? There's lots of wonderful fathers out there.
On a less serious note, I wanted to say that the next time someone says something to you along those lines, you should sock them in the face. (Get it? Sock?! Norah's pic?!) Sorry...but I couldn't resist. :)
"There's no way anyone would ever say that to Sarah..."
Funnily enough, I actually thought it was Sarah writing the post at first -- thinking that maybe she'd get that kind of grief because she looks young, has tons of ink, and isn't what most people would traditionally picture when they think of a mom.
You're both totally BA and awesome parents though, so fuck everyone else. :)
When people see me out without Zadok they frequently ask if Matt is babysitting. It is quite insulting.
I'm so happy for Norah (and my niece) to have responsible, caring, supportive dads who spend a lot of time with them every day. Not every girl will have that close relationship with her father. It's priceless. You're setting an awesome example for all your students...even if you need to educate some of them.
you know what is ridiculous?!
it wasn't even a resident who made the comment...but a late 40-ish old woman!
sigh. so it goes. i love my husband and am proud of the role he plays in my life and norah's life.
What a little turkey! I'm gonna skwish her and skwish her and skwish her.
Why so sensitive, MK? You're all about being stylishly out of the norm anyway, right? I wish I was fortunate enough to be a babysit caregiver for the little turkey.
i think you're missing the point, pops. he wants to be called a father, not a babysitter when he spends time with norah alone.
Yeah. I wonder how God would feel if we were all like "oh, well, He's just a babysitter here to sort of keep us in line until our REAL dad gets home." He's the Father and deserves to be called such by us all.
Same goes for me with Norah. I'm her dad and people need to respect that. I play as active a role in her life as does Sarah. I don't babysit.
totally true...yet it could be that person didn't grow up with a dad that spent any time with them, or didn't grow up with a dad at all. or maybe their kids' dad left. all in perspective...
though it'd still be nice if we would err to the positive, right? :)
Post a Comment