Sarah and I watched a documentary last night called "For the Bible Told Me So." I'd suggest it for anyone who wants to better understand the flaws of the war waged by fundamentalist Christians against homosexuality in America.
http://www.cinematical.com/2007/01/31/sundancereview-for-the-bible-tells-me-so/
I take no stance on the question of whether homosexuality is a sin. Honestly, I don't care. I think that we're missing the point if the conversation we're having in this country about homosexuality is focused on whether it is or isn't sinful. One side will say it is, the other side will say it isn't, and neither side will budge. There isn't a conversation to be had when the issue is black or white. As far as I know, Jesus never said anything on on the issue of homosexuality as a sin, so neither will I.
What I will say, though, is that there is a basic human decency and respect that should be afforded to everyone. I favor fair and just treatment for all individuals regardless of their lifestyle choices. We don't deny basic human rights to people who think dirty thoughts, or who masturbate, or who cheat on their spouses. Aren't those all sexual sins? I'm always curious as to why the issue of homosexuality stirs such a passion in some Christians who will otherwise think to raise their voices against adultery or lust. I mean, I know that those Christians would certainly speak against adultery and lust if they were prodded or asked to do so, but why is the issue of homosexuality the issue that gets their blood boiling?
I guess that's a question that we probably won't answer here on a blog.
It's kind of like asking why people feel the need to divide society into easily identified, despised, and dehumanized groups. For poops and goobers, I suppose.
There was a quote in the movie that I really liked:
"Christian fundamentalists can't have a conversation about the Bible because they don't know to interpret the Bible, only to recite it."
True. I'm not opposed to the recitation of God's Word, but I am opposed to the rout memorization of God's Word without thought or reflection. Especially when the latter is being done from a place of hate and divisiveness.
Stay Gold,
MMK
3 comments:
One of the best "West Wing" episodes that I can recall is President Jed Bartlett taking to an extreme rightwing raido talkshow host at a press gathering in the White House. He asked her plenty of pointed questions, quoting from scripture, i.e "Leviticus tells me I can't kill a slave on the Sabbath, but is it ok for another servant to do it for me?" She knew rote memorization of the Bible, but had no clue concerning hermeneutics or the exegesis of that particular passage.
There's a couple of words that should be known, and a couple of subjects that should be studied by those depending on Scripture for their life's guidance.
I agree - and admittedly it's a generalization -most hard core, extreme right Bible pounders seem to do two things; learn to recite verses on any topic, and follow someone else's preaching that ignores sholarly study of Scripture. Much easier to have someone else do your thinking for you than to challenge your own mind.
Homosexuality seems to confound right wingers because of the dichotomy that exists between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. Mind you, I said "Covenant" rather than "Testament". Big difference. Judaic law was extremely strict - that's what Leviticus is all about! The people of Israel codified what they thought was God's will. The New Covenant that Christ created? Let's see... he hung out with lepers, prostitutes, tax collectors (the equivalent of modern corrupt political appointees), common people such as fishermen and carpenters and tent makers... scandalous! Read Matthew 25:34-46. If that isn't a call to action in the name of social justice, I don't know what is!
Homosexuality IMHO is personal; yet to be determined if it genetic or whatever. Science leans toward genetics, but the federal administration of the last 8 years doesn't seem to care too much about science.
I guess (having several gay friends ranging from in the closet to total flamers) I just try to see the person first. I think that's WWJD.
Dad
and then i misspell "scholarly"... LOL
Dad
basically, can't we as christians simply love people unconditionally.
Post a Comment