Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pride and Shame

I was thinking about it earlier today, and I've come to realize why I'm so invested in this election business. It's not a partisan issue, really. It's not an issue of liberals vs. conservatives.

I simply can't remember a point in my life where I've been able to be proud of my government. I've never had a president to look up to. Clinton did great things economically, but turned out to be morally vapid. Bush did his thing and ended up murdering hundreds of thousands of American soldiers and Iraqi civilians alike because of the lies he told.

Maybe I don't hate America. Maybe I don't hate Republicans.
Maybe I just want people to live up to their potential.
Maybe I don't want to be defined by a government who can't ever seem to get things right.

I truly believe that there are issues being discussed in this election which have the potential, if realized and acted upon, to make us proud again.

I can't help but get a sinking feeling in my stomach, though, when I play out in my mind the next few months. I'm hoping for something more while preparing myself for the emptiness of what I've always experienced.

Please pray for the next four years.

Stay Gold,

MMK

1 comment:

JMK said...

So I recently purchased Mary Chapin Carpenter's newest - "The Calling". And I suggest you buy it, if only for this one song "why Shouldn't We". Lyrics:

We believe in things we cannot see
Why Shouldn't we, why shouldn't we
Hands that heal can set a chained man free
Why shouldn't we, why shouldn't we

We believe in peace within every heart
Why shouldn't we, why shouldn't we
Burning brightly, brightly in the dark
Why shouldn't we, why souldn't we

Chorus:
So come on darling feel your spirits rise
Come on children open up your eyes
God is all around
Buddha's at the gate
Allah hears your prayers
It's not to late

And we believe in things that will give us hope
Why shouldn't we, why shouldn't we
Let your voice be heard, celebrate your vote
Why shouldn't we, why shouldn't we

Chorus

We believe in things that make us all the same
Why shouldn't we, why shouldn't we
Love belongs to all in deed and name
Why shouldn't we, why shouldn't we

And we believe in things that can't be done
Why shouldn't we, why shouldn't we
Lift up your heart, put down your gun,
Why shouldn't we, why shouldn't we

We believe in things
We're told that we cannot change
Why shouldn't we
WE had heroes once, and we will again
Why shouldn't we

So come on darling
Come on children
God is all around,
Buddha's at the gate
Allah hears our prayers
It's not too late...

---------------

Side note: I just finished reading "Three Cups Of Tea" by Greg Mortensen. Get it. Read it. You will be moved and you will find hope.

Much love,
Dad