I looked at this just now and realized that I haven't written on here in, like, forever. I've been pretty busy lately, though, so I suppose that the silence is somewhat justified. Having a career takes up a lot of one's time and energy. So it goes.
I'm in the midst of hall director training right now ans so I'm learning all about running a residence hall here at the University of New Hampshire. I wouldn't say that the training is too difficult or that it's been frightening at all. On the other hand, it's served to affirm the choice I made to work on this campus. It's nothing revolutionary or unknown to me. I've done this work before. I am pleased to be learning, though, that it seems that I'll be working for a department and with people who reflect the type of professional I would like to be.
Sarah wrote in her last entry that we moved into our apartment last week. I promise that we will take some pictures and upload them soon. I know that there are those of you amongst our readership who would love to see the place that we call home. We're still waiting on a couple of maintenance projects to be completed before our place is "done," so we will get pictures up once those projects are finished.
I bought a 42" TV last week and it's glorious. High definition television makes me want to be a better person. I wish high definition television was my dad, that's how much I love it. (Just kidding, actual Dad, I'm just trying to prove a point.)
I am going to be participating in a fantasy football pool with a couple of other hall directors this fall, so I've been doing research lately about which players I'd like to draft for my team. This is my first real excursion into the realm of fantasy football, so I hope it goes well. And by "well" I mean that I hope I don't suck it up big time.
Albums I've been listening to lately:
Public Enemy - "Power to the People and The Beats"
The Warriors - "Genuine Sense of Outrage"
Alli Rogers - "The Day of Small Things"
The Olympics have been fun to watch this past week, though I feel kind of dirty for cheering so heartily for America. There's nothing like a little blind nationalism every couple of years to keep you feeling like you're better than the rest of the world.
"Hey, I wonder what's the story behind that athlete from Zimbabwe..."
"Who cares! Stars and stripes and white people, fuck yeaaaaaaa!"
So it goes!
I think maybe I will go to bed now. I've decided to put a temporary gag order on myself from talking too much about politics here. I don't think Sarah always appreciates how, um, passionate (some might say "angry") I get when I'm discussing my hopes for the future of our nation. I think some other people might agree with her.
"If you're not angry, you're not paying attention."
"Anger is a gift."
Somethings to think about.
Stay Gold, everyone.
MMK
2 comments:
I've been ubber cheer for America too and have felt the same dueling emotions of patriotism and shame.
I guess I'm also guilty of the nationalistic jingoism one assumes with being the patriotic fan for one's country. But in all fairness, I have really been supporting Denmark in rowing/crewing/sculling - whatever you want to call it. Those guys are a true machine!
And in re: HDTV... welcome to the bright side, my son... What can I say - you've seen my setup.
Post a Comment