Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Finally Old Enough

Nope, I'm not referring to Norah. I'm actually referring to myself. I'm finally old enough to accept (some of) the advice and guidance from my parents. It only took, what, 24 years? Ha!

I had planned to go into Portsmouth today to have my bridesmaid dress for Katie's wedding altered. Unfortunately, the dreaded NH rain has come back again. I got halfway to our car with Norah, before I let out a "shit" and turned around to head back into our apartment. Running errands in the rain with a baby just plain sucks. So, I'm saving that adventure for another day.

Norah is currently down for her second nap today. Yep, you read the sentence correctly..I did use the word "SECOND"! She took a nap this morning for an hour (in her crib) and has been down this time (in her crib) for at least a half hour so far. AH! As some of you may know, THIS IS HUGE! Norah has not been known so far as a great napper. A great nighttime sleeper? Yes. But during the day, she fights sleep like nobody's business. And if she does manage to let go and fall asleep, she wakes up and fusses the minute we try to put her in the crib. One milestone at a time I suppose!

My dad encouraged me to spend some time with God. I've been terrible at this lately, extremely terrible. I've just let my life get so busy and haven't made spending time with God a priority. I haven't been very willing to put in the effort.

Every time I take a moment to really look at Norah, though, I can't believe God would bless me with something so precious. To tell you the truth, I still think I'm in shock. I have a baby. I have a daughter. I am a mom. Whew.

Maybe a month or so after Norah was born, I was sitting on the couch...just holding her. She was quiet and content. She was so beautiful and peaceful. Innocent. I couldn't take my eyes of her. I had never felt that kind of love before. I was so overwhelmed (in a good way). I finally just wept. I mean, really wept. In that moment, I think I understood a little bit better how much God loves us.

SLK

No comments: