I'm already a terrible parent:
1) I caved and have introduced the pacifier to Norah (when I've clearly stated before I would never do such a thing).
2) During the night, I've let Norah give a few extra whines in hopes that she'll go back to sleep instead of nurse. (This has never worked, but I've still tried it more than once). And the MOST horrible confession - at the most frustrating moments I've even secretly hoped my breast milk would dry up so I would be forced to quit breastfeeding. But, I'm thankful I have an abundance and realize the benefits to breastfeeding..."this too shall pass".
3) I look forward to my nightly showers - the few minutes of alone time where I can just relax and unwind.
4) I'm excited to step away from being a stay-at-home mom and go back to work.
5) I've thought to myself more than once, "So when do Marshall and I get to take a vacation?"
Okay, so really I'm not a terrible parent. I'm just a new (typical) parent adjusting to a new lifestyle. Did I mention breastfeeding is hard? I do think though, realizing the areas of life I need to improve on...makes me somewhat of a decent parent. I have the desire to be a good mom, I just need a little bit of time (and a few breakdowns) to figure out what striving to be a good parent looks like...even if it is a lifelong process.
Hubby, what would I do without you?!
Norah gives a few "coos" to all her Grandparents. She's been told just how loved she is!
Love to all.
SLK
3 comments:
You guys are NOT bad parents at all! Everyone has those thoughts.
And breastfeeding IS hard! I am a big advocate of breastfeeding, but have gone through about every crappy thing possible associated with it! I am always happy to hear of moms trying and lasting any amount of time with nursing because I know how hard and draining it can be. Helps to have a supportive hubby, big time!
A good theraputic book that I read when nursing W was Spilled Milk: Breastfeeding Adventures and Advice from Less-Than Perfect Moms by Andy Steiner.
Love and prayers and hugs to Norah!
I'm hoping, my dear niece, that "Andy Steiner" (pretty much a given)is a female. Otherwise, a bit tough to take "expert" advice from...
Oh - forgot to leave the big grin at the end of that message... ;-)
Jay
Post a Comment