Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

small vent.

i felt the need to vent about this issue here as well (not just on facebook)!

i can't get over the way college kids stare at me.
yes, i call them kids.
if i could put words to their thoughts, i'm pretty sure it would be something as follows:
"ahhh, no she didn't!", "knocked-up?! that sucks", "i bet she wishes she could take back that one night stand", "slut".....i could go on and on.
the stares (or should i say, glares?) at my pregnant belly seem to be a bit fewer in number when i am with MK...but not much.
a part of me is flattered that i still look young enough for others to think i'm in college, but most of me is just annoyed.

i'm 24 years old.
i have a college degree.
i have a solid marriage...
and faith in Christ.
and i'm dedicated to being the best mother i can be!
get off it.

what is more upsetting, is i know many of the kids who judge me...are engaging in some unhealthy and unstable behaviors! any one of them could find themselves being a parent before they finish college.

shrug, i guess maturity and objectiveness are acquired at different points for different people...if ever at all.

SLK

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Coincidentally, my boss and I were just talking about that issue this week! She is expecting her second child and said she hates walking around on campus and having all the students (especially women) stare at her...so I suppose, at least you are not alone?

Karen VH said...

Here's the flip side of babies and looking young. When out on my own with my grandsons, I regularly get asked how old my children are. I am no longer polite. I answer "27 and 28" while thinking to myself "Are you serious?! I know I look younger than my age (51), but did ya forget to put your glasses on this morning?! The age spots should be a bit of a clue." It was flattering the first 2-3 times, but now it's just annoying. If I'm polite about it, then I have to endure the "Oh wow, I wouldn't have guessed you're that old, blah, blah, blah" -- a repetitve conversation I just love (sarcasm) having with perfect strangers.

Justin said...

I want to make you a shirt that says "I will seriously punch you in the face if you don't stop staring." That combined with the death-glare that only a female can pull off might help?

SLK said...

i would wear that shirt every day!