One of my students wrote a note on Facebook the other day. He's decided that he doesn't think he believes in God anymore. The note read like a laundry list of complaints about God doing this or not doing that in the world. I couldn't help but remember writing some of the same thoughts maybe five or six years back and making the same sort of bold statements about my disbelief as those my student wrote just recently. But things change. And now I don't think those things anymore.
I'm happy to see my student(s) talking about the God issue, though, because it means that they're at least trying to figure out where they stand in relation to Him. Some people probably think it's blasphemous to applaud, but I'm glad that this student (and others) have chosen to express his disbelief. Go for it. Turn your back. That's the point of free will, right?
Don't get me wrong... I don't think you should turn your back and close the door completely. I'm just saying that I know what it's like to lose faith and have your trust in the Eternal worn thin. I think that questioning God is healthy and necessary in faith. I think that faith needs to have droughts. And I know how those have benefited me in having a deeper understanding of the true meaning of faith. The real depth and breadth of faith can only be examined when you've experienced both absolutes of belief. And so I'm happy to see my student struggling right now.
After all..."but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." (Romans, dudes).
So, yeah.
And now here's some pictures I made with pens and pencils and paints and junk. The first two were end-of-the-year gifts for two of my RAs. Amy knitted a bunch and has a twin sister (hence the two roses). Athena is named after the goddess who's often represented with an owl. I'm super deep with my gifts.
The third picture is just my version of the classic praying hand tattoo design. Good times.
Anyway. Have a good night, everyone.
Stay Gold.
MMK

1 comment:
Thanks for the post Marshall. You are right on. I don't understand why people are so afraid of doubting and asking tough questions, like God won't be able to handle it or something. I always think of Psalms of Lament, talk about people getting angry at God. Also,
I am preaching on that Romans text this week! So thanks, and hope all is well.
Post a Comment