I've had a couple of people ask me already how the Midwest differs from the East Coast. I find making a list rather suitable...and in some cases therapeutic. Hah! Obviously, none of my observations are scientific...and most items on the list will probably involve some sort of bias resulting from my Iowa Pride. Anyhooo...here it goes... (warning: generalization utilized)
1) The east coast (especially New Hampshire) does not contain any sort of plain...or flat piece of land which allows an individual to see for miles. All I see when I look out the window of our current apartment are trees!
2) Contrary to item #1, New Hampshire does have some gorgeous beaches (which clearly allow an individual to gaze out over the vast ocean). I feel so at peace next to the ocean.
3) The weather so far is a bit of an adjustment (and yes, I realize I haven't even experienced winter here, yet). One moment the skies will be clear, and the next thing I know, it's pouring! The rain is different here, too...it comes straight down...without much wind at all. Kinda a big difference when compared to the Midwest tornado season!
4) I've discovered a new pet peeve. Grocery carts. My pet peeve does not stem from the act of using grocery carts (they are actually a rather genius idea)...it's just that for some reason, people here aren't willing to walk the two feet to place the cart into the parking lot unit. Thus, in order to actually park in a space, Marshall or I have to get out of the car and move the three or four carts out of the space and over to the nearest unit. Shrug, it may sound a bit silly...but I find it more frustrating. So it goes.
5) I am still in love with the East Coast accent. Some may find it harsh, rude, or even crass, but I find it rather endearing.
6) Recycling is a big deal here. Hooray! I do believe the Midwest is slowly becoming better at making recycling easier... but I still see it needs to become more of a habit (a lifestyle) there, rather than a chore.
7) I miss the courtesy people display while driving in the Midwest. People out here seem to make up their own driving rules..and appear to be more concerned about getting to their destination before the rest of the pack, rather than making someone's day...or avoiding a horrific accident.
8) Cars must go through yearly inspections here, a law I didn't even know existed. Let's just say I understand the idea...and the need for inspections, but my experience was a bit less than pleasant.
9) The University of New Hampshire (UNH) seems to have a body of students (and staff) who are more health focused than other campuses I have experienced in the Midwest. Another HOORAY! Marshall and I have already begun to work on some of our habits...we've been running together and are trying to make better decisions regarding our food intake. Taking steps towards being more healthy in a setting that is supportive is such a blessing. Although, I am glad to hear about smoke-free Iowa. YAY!
Hum....that's a bit of a list already. I can see Marshall and I adding to the list as time goes on. But I think that'll be it for now.
Love to you all.
SLK.
1 comment:
I read somewhere that Vermont is the healthiest state in the US - so I'm not surprised that NH is fairly healthy as well. Also - how many Dunkin' Donuts have you seen? A million or so? :-)
Post a Comment